Robin M. Petersen, Esquire.
Robin Petersen is the Founder and Principal of the Estate Planning & Elder Law Center of Brevard. His practice is dedicated exclusively to Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Administration, and Veterans Benefits.
Mr. Petersen takes a personal approach to the practice of law. His extensive experience has taught him that effective plans and sound legal solutions can only be achieved by taking the time to gain a thorough understanding of his clients’ greatest concerns and most cherished goals. As a result of his face-to-face approach and commitment to efficient yet compassionate service, many of Mr. Petersen’s clients have become clients for life.
Mr. Petersen is Board Certified in Elder Law by the American Bar Association. He is also a U.S. Veterans Administration Accredited attorney and admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Military Appeals. As a former Air Force Captain, U.S. Air Force Legal Officer (JAG), he is uniquely qualified to meet the legal needs of veterans and their families.
A former Assistant Public Defender, Mr. Petersen is listed in Who’s Who in American Law, Florida SuperLawyers, an instructor of law to college students, and a sought-after writer and lecturer. He is also a graduate of the Atlanta Institute of Music.
Mr. Petersen’s memberships and professional associations include:
- Board Member and Vice-President of the Brevard Chapter of the Florida State Guardianship Association
- Board member and Vice-President of Space Coast Guardianship Association
- Former Chairman, Florida Bar 18th Circuit Unlicensed Practice of Law
- Brevard County Estate Planning Council
- Charter Member, American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys (Former Member)
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Florida Bar Association’s & American Bar Association’s Probate & Estate Planning Sections
- Brevard County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- Member and Past Secretary, Florida Bar Consumer Protection Committee
- Secretary/Treasurer and Executive Council Member of the Vassar B. Carlton Inns of Court
Mr. Petersen’s services to the community include:
- Secretary/Treasurer and Board Member of Hospice of Health First
- Ex-President and Member of Hospice of Health First Advisory Counsel
- Town of Indialantic Variance Review Board, Ex-Chairman
- Board of Trustees, Keep Brevard Beautiful, Former Board Member
- South Brevard Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Brevard
- Former Vice President, Board of Directors of Red Cross, Vero Beach Chapter
- Florida Bar Fee Arbitration Committee
- Founding Board Member, Vero Beach Community Choir
Mr. Petersen earned his Juris Doctorate from the Florida State University College of Law in 1981, where he was a Staff Writer for Florida State University Law Review; Clerk for Circuit Judge J. Lewis Hall of Tallahassee, Florida; Research Assistant to Dean of the Law School; President, Florida State University Chapter of Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA); Associate Justice on University Supreme Court; and Treasurer, Bar Association.
He earned his Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude, from Florida State University in 1977.
When not practicing law, Mr. Petersen enjoys spending time with his daughter, playing classical guitar, traveling, yoga, martial arts, bicycling, and hiking.
Joseph W. McFarland, Jr., Associate Attorney
Joseph W. McFarland, Jr., comes from a family of attorneys and
has always had a passion to practice law. Now as an Associate Attorney at the Estate Planning and Elder Law Center of Brevard, he focuses in the areas of Estate Planning, Probate, Trust Administration, and Guardianship.
Mr. McFarland’s goal is to ensure that every client receives his personal attention and peace of mind. Mr. McFarland gets to know his clients and understands their specific needs, which allows him to better prepare for their future and fulfill their current wishes. It is his thorough and compassionate coming back.
He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Government and Law from Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania in 1985. Earning his Juris Doctorate in 1988 from West Virginia University, Mr. McFarland began his law career in West Virginia. At that time his focus was primarily Real Estate, Criminal Trial Law, Personal Injury, and Family Law. His early accomplishments included associate counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the House of Delegates of West Virginia and a temporary appointment as Worker’s Compensation Commissioner. In 1993, he was appointed as part-time Family Law Master by the Governor of West Virginia, and served in that capacity for five years. He was also a referral attorney for the West Virginia Education Association, where he represented teachers in work related legal matters, including grievances, abuse, neglect investigations, and criminal prosecutions. Since his admittance to the Florida Bar in 2000, his focus has expanded to include Estate Planning, Probate, and Trust Administration.
When Mr. McFarland is not at work, he enjoys spending time with his son, a student at the Bower School of Music at Florida Gulf Coast University. He loves to attend his son’s concerts, take long walks, exercise, and the game of golf.
Ronna R. Schindler, CP
Paralegal – Probate / Trust Administration / Estate Planning
Karen M. Wortman
Paralegal – Estate Planning / Guardianship
Kristin C. Whaley
Cassidy V. Petersen